Thursday, October 27, 2011

Downward dahlia!

                                  Entered at http://pixeldustphotoart.blogspot.com/




She was in a large dahlia garden belonging to the owner of a house on a corner when I drove by.  I stopped and got out of the car; the woman was wearing an apron and was down on her knees pulling weeds with very long roots.  I told her how pretty her yard looked and asked if I could take a picture.  She said many had stopped in late summer to take pictures.  She pulled her gloves off, smiled, brushed her mussed white hair to the side and went inside.

Many of the flowers, all dahlias, of all shades and different shapes had seen their best days but it was still a sight to behold with the mix planted in several straight rows, each about 40 feet long.   This one stood out and was closest to me.  I have done nothing to alter this photo....she's a-naturale.  I could have changed the exposure, made it sharper, or embellished the color and the background....or, I could have used a textured template...this I have yet to do! So that is my goal for next Friday...to try something I've not tried before with a photo.  I imagine a kind of "vintage seed packet look...I hope!

Please, feedback is welcome...as are tips, criticism, or comments on any of my posts. I am still a fledgling blogger, trying to find the right combination of creativity, art, and writing that will attract a fair amount of people who share the various interests I do and might return here from time to time.  downtheeyrieroad.blogspot.com contains a little bit of everything....and I've only just begun.  It's a far cry from what I imagined it to be (about my dream of having a cottage by the sea) with a page that welcomes, but it will evolve.  And it's not for my eyes only...then there would be no point in doing it..  I already keep records, a journal or day book for having some order of  thoughts,  plans, ideas, happenings, and all kinds of notes and lists.   But this isn't meant to be about me...it's an offering to you, from me.
Kathy

9 comments:

  1. Great photo! I love the light! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely photo! I love the inclusion of the bud and the promise it holds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, first let me say I love your blog. It has taken me 5 years to evolve to the place my blog is. But that's what makes it fun. I can hardly believe this photo is SOOC. Yes, sometimes an image is perfect just the way it comes out of the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it just being a photo snapped quickly without too much thought of all exposures. It is gorgeous with the bud above. Will look forward to the vintage seed packet look, too. Nanc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I like the angle that you took the photo at and the fact that you included the bud as well. - I'm new to photo art myself but I think you are doing a fine job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your photo, lovely lovely flower and composition, it just painted such a lovely image along with your words.
    Blessings
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you..you are all very encouraging. That shot was beginner's luck. Marily, what is SOOC? "Fresh" out of the camera?

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) sooc is 'straight out of camera' I had trouble figuring that out too but you got the idea right. it's a lovely photo. it might be luck but I feel you have an eye for beauty, no camera can give you that sweetie. happy Halloween. we don't celebrate it in Portugal but it's what everyone is wishing me today ;) xxo

    ReplyDelete

All comments, constructive and otherwise, are welcome and appreciated here. Thank you to those who show an interest in my quirky style of writing, photography, painting, and presenting a feeling or thought and for stopping by A Dwelling by the Sea..