Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My Blue Heron...


Since I've lived here on this creek which originates from an underground spring, I've watched  many inhabitants (raccoons, squirrels, many breeds of birds, ducks and geese) with or without binoculars.  Each summer when it is hot with no rain, I am most apt to see the heron arrive for some hunting. I don't notice him until he moves because he blends in so well with the trees, water and rocks.  I love to watch him as he wades cautiously with his daddy-long-leg, skinny legs.  Last summer, however, I saw him fly overhead and heard him call (his voice is more like a bark than a quack of any kind).  I sat in the back yard and studied him for more than an hour.  The binoculars brought him much closer to me.  The sketch I did of him was better than the painting...I tend to over paint...this is too dark, but this is what I observed:
                                                       
by klr

On the high fir bough
spreading wings to the warm sun
stretching his torso,
blue pewter feathers undone
Twisting his long neck
forming letters S, C, Q
Profile of valor
 basking for this rare debut

A soldier at ease
cloaks himself in his own arms
grooming in the breeze,
routine for the avatar
Spying his next meal
he crouches down readying
Legs lift lubberly
casting a slender shadow

Wingspan to envy
he descends with slow drama
 camouflaged by reeds,
he lands knee deep in water 
Hushed statue on guard 
in a split second he snaps
His prey not clever
swam right into his beak trap

A change in weather,
and with a loud thunder clap
ends the private show,
A privilege to behold,
 as he looks my way
he glides into the nether



2 comments:

  1. You did a good job on the drawing and on the poem. Some fun words in the poem. Congrats. Nanc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nanc, for the only response!

    ReplyDelete

All comments, constructive and otherwise, are welcome and appreciated here. Thank you to those who show an interest in my quirky style of writing, photography, painting, and presenting a feeling or thought and for stopping by A Dwelling by the Sea..