Sunday, August 19, 2012

Old Cowgirls ....


This composition is in the huitain form introduced to me by deVerse  this last week;  also I used the "summer" theme for the month of August from another writer on the site...I hope it passes muster..I  know it's a far cry from the famous ballads and writings by countless before today ;}   Besides, Cowgirl Poetry,  genre all it's own, is very formidable.

~huitain~ usually 8 syllables, 8 lines in a stanza
Old Cowgirls...

Summers found us bridling our mares
Nuzzling for the bucket of oats
Ready for trails to lose our cares
Pushing back low tree boughs that poked
Riding through small canyons, back roads
Long shirts tucked into riding jeans
protected us from poison oak
Cowgirl hats provided sunscreen  

Water droplets covered with dust                          
clung to our boots and I wonder
whatever happened to my trust??
Narrow paths tall grass at shoulder
Turning necks in saddles under
skies that heard our dreams and wishes
what parents oft put asunder
freedom with a horsetail's swishes

Brushing my horses bangs aside
Buckskin coat with expresso sheen
Her appaloosa with sad eyes                                            
Laughing faces where big tears streamed
We were just under seventeen
Dismounting to drink cool water
Pink snow had fallen on lime green
To draw strength one day for fodder

Hooves dug in dirt climbing up hills
Rocky terrain met meadow lakes
Wilderness ferns and flowers thrilled
Grasshoppers, snakes leaped in our wake
Sharing feelings, goals, fears to sate
We raced, we cantered, walked slowly
Country nowhere else could equate
Twilight led us home woefully

Learning preparedness those day trips
Had quickened our first responses
So when someone loved lost their grip,
terrible things confronted us
We grew extra arms, took losses
Shared losing a sister too soon
Inclined to believe our horses
chariots waiting past the moon


by klr

The photo in the belt buckle is not my friend and I..there are none that we can find...




18 comments:

  1. Lovely writing ... truly a cowgirl song :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think I could do better, but thanks ;)

      Delete
  2. really like that last stanza....they are set up nice but that one really brings the feel of that day into it for me...love watching the horses at the stables nearby....and we got plenty of grasshoppers...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there were many days like that..thanks, Brian..

      Delete
  3. nothing like sweating on your horse. summer with the horse is even more special than any other time of the yer

    street rubbish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite amazing that you did all this in the huitain format - it flows along with little sense that the reins of the form are limiting it in any way. A sweet poignant story - youth certainly feels invulnerable and probably even more so on the trail. k.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great closure with the horses
    chariots waiting past the moon... and tough on losing one sister too soon...sharing the good and hard stuff..feels like life..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claudia..they say to write about what you know ;)

      Delete
  6. Evocative memories here with feelings of the lost past

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! You have taken the huitain to a new level and such a story you tell. At first I had fond memories of my own childhood in CA riding with my sister. Then it took me to NV where I now live. And then all of a sudden...I lost my sister a few years ago. Powerful writing, my friend. Hope to see more of you at dVerse. I have a prompt coming up on Thursday on "characters." I suspect you could really nail it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will look for it ;) I had to really stay with this one,,keep at it till it felt right..still think it could be better..

      Delete
  8. What wonderful verse. I was transported to a magical place reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy days. I could imagine this as a song too. You painted a lovely picture and those last few lines were perfect.

    ReplyDelete

All comments, constructive and otherwise, are welcome and appreciated here. Thank you to those who show an interest in my quirky style of writing, photography, painting, and presenting a feeling or thought and for stopping by A Dwelling by the Sea..