Sunday, September 16, 2012

First Time outside the U. S...

     dversepoets.com  This week  our challenge over at dversepoets.com is to write about a first time..can be about anything...I was 15..
    dVerse Poets Pub                                           by klr

I cried riding the bus through the poorer section of town  
After arriving in humid weather por avion,
        oh, how I wanted to go into town
Our meeting place by the fountain, I stood alone
Classroom echos floated to the rosy garden terrace
Each day returning to our host family's home

I fell in love - with everyone, with a country
Senora de Silva, a distinctive widow
        and her three progeny
Cristina the eldest, engaged, working, ready to move
Brother Horatio became my guide (also sneaked kisses in the dark)
Mothers would not approve

But eight year old Berta was indeed a delight
When I was ill in her lap 
        my head she let lie
brought me soup and sang to me 
To spread my wings was exactly what I needed 
free of strict parents just 'to be'


Invited to a huge birthday party
Relatives gathered, we danced and sang 
        laughed, ate hearty
Drank my first tequila from bottle with worm inside
Everything came easily as I studied 
Now all is coming back to my mind

I bought a hand forged candelabra, quite a find
one big grey sombrero covered in grey felt 
        with gold stone design
and dolls for my sisters
I copied the recipes of good food we were fed
and took lots of pictures

We explored museums, beautiful churches, and parks
Every night a parade for a virgin icon
        the smell of corn tortillas and firework sparks
Perhaps because I had three years of Spanish A+ graded
there never was a trace of fear
Mariachis serenaded

Were I could write pages of the people and place
describe food, characters, the full story
        of what I faced
I remember wanting to return year after year
One time I ordered a plate of small trucks instead of shrimp
Misunderstandings could evoke a smile or jeer

Time to leave, I cried and held my roommates hand
Enamored was I with the people, their culture
       their land
Working hard to eke out a living 
where a small upper class ruled
yet people were generous and giving

Awareness of poverty in our world as a young girl
( as well as discrimination), it was acutely felt
       when I saw it for real
I was struck by the humbleness and mirth
of those who welcomed me 
The skies of Jalisco, what an education is worth 




13 comments:

  1. having the opportunity to really live for a while in another country with local people broadens the horizont so much...my daughter was for a year in bolivia and it has changed her view on some things quite a bit...those first hand experiences are so precious..thanks for taking us with you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clear memories of a past so clearly still with us

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow...pretty cool to be cultured this way....i love how you fell in love with the sights and the people and that is what you wrote about...a poet being born already....smiles...very cool opportunity which obviously made an impact on you....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun way to preserve memories in rhyme! Nice. Everyone should have the chance to live immersed in a strange culture. How stretching !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, living abroad, outside of home is an experience by itself. It is so vastly different from reading or just watching it from afar, the taste and smell of food and culture is just so different ~ Now I am remembering my first time too outside of home...thanks for sharing ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. fantastic response, thanks so much for sharing. Quite the experience, love how you captured a distinct memoir-in-poetry form, came out great, the experiences came out so vivid, felt as if experiencing them with you. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. So good to have (and share) this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful memories you shared here. I sometimes don't think a person appreciates home until one experiences 'elsewhere' whether within one's own country or in a different one. And another thought - one can get to know another country MUCH better by living there than by touring through. I enjoyed you write.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so enjoyed reading this! It's such a wonderful experience to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved my brief time in Mexico, and think you've described the unique feel of the place so well--a beautiful land, a gracious and dignified people despite conditions many of us could never even imagine, their instinctive valuing of what is really important: the home, children, a good meal and some bright, vivid color in the simplest thing to make it beautiful.Thanks for reminding me of many happy memories, and congratulations on having this as one of your most rewarding 'first times.'

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, an education! Also a discovery and an awareness that there were unfortunates we heard of but not experienced first hand. Moving story, Kathy!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, your writing is amazing, so compelling to read it and it draws one into the story of another world :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments, constructive and otherwise, are welcome and appreciated here. Thank you to those who show an interest in my quirky style of writing, photography, painting, and presenting a feeling or thought and for stopping by A Dwelling by the Sea..