Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Ursula...

It's open link night at  dversepoets.com so there 
is no subject and this is my contribution..


      
 Ursula moves items
from the grocery cart to the counter....
    ...expressionless...
 line behind her..solemn faces all
. until she opens  her mouth
Suddenly, loudly.stating emphatically:
"I've been waiting here for three long days!  
 Now.. finally!!"


 Our eyes meet, holding 2 long seconds,
I smile, reaction intuitive
Unsure of her accent 
I begin to imagine a life, 
...grew up in a small town...in Europe?
..playing on the beach looking for shells, 
doing chores 
....father out to sea..


Pretty school girl, dreams of
becoming a ballerina
perhaps witnessed soldiers fighting
 some distant war...brother among them
Tended wounded men alongside her mother
Then, a sudden loud guffaw
"Ha..hah!"


She looks at stunned others
..then back at me..
Eyes wide, reddish grey hair in curls
 held by a comb
Her gaudy blouse catches in her purse
murmurs under her breath 
opens it for her cash in a bundle,
Pays with another "ha-hah!" and grin

   Coral rings on her finger
match a wide bracelet
 Low black heels and generous figure 
reveal, well, some refinement
Diplomat's wife who served high tea?
or lady of the evening 
throwing tawdry soirees?
 or, secretary scribbling shorthand 9 - 5?


Irked people stare 
hesitant to say anything
She continues to rant of aisles,
merchandise rearranged
"I could have baked a cake, read a book,"
 she exclaims, "in the time I had to 
wait in this damn line?"
I do not take her seriously 


 "How's the arthritis today, Ursula?"
asks the cashier
Face morphing to scowl, she replies
with gusto "It's a bummer; 
wouldn't be so bad if he would lift a finger"
"I cook and slave,
 he's waiting for me to croak!
think I'll divorce his lazy - - - -!"


Another guffaw "Ha ha ah!"
"For all I care he can jump in the lake, 
 not good for a thing!"
Nods her head sideways
indicating where, 
then asks the girl, "Oh did you see the news 
about Prince Harry?
...now that's a hoot!" with a wink


"Thank ye kindly,
hope next time I don't have to 
wait a week!!"
I wanted to say thank you 
for mixing my day with spice
...audacious, friendly conversation
..lacking today
Eyes follow her out the door
.
I want to follow her, 
pick her mind
She looks back at me one last time,
...grinning ear to ear
\as if we have a secret,
\More places to go no doubt,
In the autumn of her life...
it's chapters an interesting read?


I can only guess the truth... 
we all have a story
Fahrenheit 451, why, yes
She might have been an author, 
a dancer
 or a duchess...or maid..
a vagabond....or.....maybe...
even a....
I wonder?



by klr











9 comments:

  1. Quite an intriguing plot ... loved the suspense at the end !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this greatly. You created an interesting scene and character. Fascinating to speculate on her story, on anyone's story, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha i like your story...what an interesting character...i know the feeling too of wanting to get into someones mind when you meet them and they are as intriguing...really cool capture...i enjoyed...

    ReplyDelete
  4. People watching is so much fun - and speculating about their stories is fun too. My only fear is that people are doing that to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha...she sounds like an interesting lady for sure..would've loved to talk to her a bit...love how you captured her

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exhaustive story! There are no short cuts. You said it like it is! Nicely Kathy!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  7. The details of description are delicious. The guesses about her background are fun. The humanizing of this woman having a hard time is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a very interesting person for sure! You have described her so well I am wondering too!

    ReplyDelete

All comments, constructive and otherwise, are welcome and appreciated here. Thank you to those who show an interest in my quirky style of writing, photography, painting, and presenting a feeling or thought and for stopping by A Dwelling by the Sea..