Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Christmas lists..




Today we write a poem using a list of nouns, a list of adjectives without using abstract words - love, jealousy, passion, hate

http://dversepoets.com









Deep silence,
twinkling stars are out,
respectful trees look upward,
then down at me
A wintry cold night,
skies crystal clear
easier to see dainty Pleides
I'm wearing long wool socks,
put my gray hair up with a red clip
Pot of strong coffee brewed,
I take a tasty sip
Aroma of orange biscuits
emanates from the oven,
purring cat on my lap

Sometimes when I want
time to slow, it flies
like leftover scents
of extinguished candles
On the carpet floor lie
pieces of a jigsaw puzzle
The straw broom propped
in the corner waits to finish
its work, gas furnace
humming
... what more do I hear?
Pages in a book turning,
volutions of a rolling pen
Louder purring as I comb
her white fur again

On my mind,
holiday meetups
It will be very simple here;
white lights in the front windows
Christmas carols, sleigh bells
greens and thoughtful deeds
Making a gift list -
French soaps, gum drop bread;
something woven,
something up-cycled,
something tweed,
books I hope people will read
I check the calendar,
hope we get 5 feet of snow
before New Year's Eve

Christmastime, years ago,
I worked long tiring hours;
but at the Post Office
it was all convivial fun
Now, the season is slower,
more about watching growing
smiles, long awaited embraces,
eggnog with rum
I think of families -
all different kinds, shapes
and sizes, more defined now
by human kindness
I check the supply of ribbon,
homemade tags, wrapping
paper, birdseed

I contemplate past merriment,
think of all who are not here
Things are tense in Ferguson,
the President will act on
immigration, climate change
As I watch the new day
break, I see the skin of trees
Quiet and still, no need to rake
more crinkled dry leaves
I think of the female deer
found trapped in barbed wire
yesterday - frightened she was,
her eyes were afire,
yet when set free,
she calmly blinked at me





1 comment:

  1. strange... i swear i left a comment on this one already... cause i so remember the orange biscuits... smiles

    ReplyDelete

All comments, constructive and otherwise, are welcome and appreciated here. Thank you to those who show an interest in my quirky style of writing, photography, painting, and presenting a feeling or thought and for stopping by A Dwelling by the Sea..