Saturday, May 20, 2017

I hear banjos..

















Today at dversepoets.com, we are writing about the senses, using them to embellish our poetry. I used a longer sonnet form and three too many syllables in the next to the last line...or should I not have mentioned that?;)

dVerse
I Hear Banjos 

I hear banjos under dusk's velvet sky
Flickering copper flames project pictures
of where I've been since the first glint in my 
parents' eyes to being a son's mother

In the fire's embers, reflections of days
of  lives suspended in time, rekindled
by smoldering desire, searching byways
for a star to follow, or a signal

Strong yet tender hands pluck the banjo strings
I hear echoes of an old bass guitar,
an antebellum dusty violin,
a hoedown with mandolin or sitar

Ushered in by moonlit frosted mountains
Swallows wings switch gears, abating their flight,
carrying scents of jasmine in downturns;
they stop a second to kiss me goodnight

We feast and revel under the light of Jupiter -
joined in song by mating red-winged blackbirds










16 comments:

  1. So much feast for ALL of the senses here, Kathy. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful read, Kathy! I have great admiration for those red-winged blackbirds who have time to sing while mating! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a wonderful rush, an excitement, to your words Kathy. A joy of life perhaps.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I hear echoes of an old bass guitar,
    an antebellum dusty violin,
    a hoedown with mandolin or sitar
    Ushered in" ... I especially like this section. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A feast for the senses Kathy! Especially love; "Ushered in by moonlit frosted mountains, swallows wings switch gears, abating their flight,carrying scents of jasmine in downturns;they stop a second to kiss me goodnight."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sonnets are hard for me, parameters within parameters; nice to see you have o fear. Is this poem untitled? I get antsy when there is no title to bounce off of, to start from. I do envy you where you live, island lady. Of course when N. Korea lobs a nuke into Juan de Fuca, we're all in danger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the swallow's wings ushered in by moonlight that stop to kiss you goodnight. That's so delicate and fascinating. It feels like a moment suspended in time

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can smell the jasmine and feel a hint of humidity on my skin. Thanks for inviting my along.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel a sense of longing in your poem. This made me sigh...
    "Swallows wings switch gears, abating their flight,
    carrying scents of jasmine in downturns;
    they stop a second to kiss me goodnight"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I almost feel that this is more a sensory memory than present which makes me feel a strong sense of nostalgia - like a faded photograph

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Bjorn about the strong sense of nostalgia and I can also see a faded photograph in the lines: 'Flickering copper flames project pictures
    of where I've been since the first glint in my
    parents' eyes to being a son's mother'
    I can hear the music too, the 'echoes of an old bass guitar'.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Evening is a time for nostalgia, and I love the way your poem starts off gentle and gathers momentum and colour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I see this as a party that brings back memories from long ago, some of them one might not have thought of in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderfully penned trip into the sensory...sepia tinted.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely musical interlude...I was swept away under the velvet sky ~

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the frog. Something emerges from deep waters.

    ReplyDelete

All comments, constructive and otherwise, are welcome and appreciated here. Thank you to those who show an interest in my quirky style of writing, photography, painting, and presenting a feeling or thought and for stopping by A Dwelling by the Sea..