Thursday, October 19, 2017

Wind Dance






















Wind Dance

A rising sun plays with intricate handywork created by
dew and garden spiders.
Rain reveals arrays of shimmering rainbows.
Angel hair tresses of fog 
settle thinly in the valley.
In meadows sleeping between
white mountain peaks.

I walk slopes in hues fuchsia, yellow, 
midnight blue and wine.
Ankle deep in wildflowers and
columbine.

Gusts of wind blow
the scarf around my neck and chin
against my face,
stinging me.
Leaves spiralling perform their wild wind dance
Stunning are the willow trees,
especially.
A cold worn barn
fades in the sun,
backdrop to a newly plowed
espresso field.
Neglected Scarecrows wear
shredded blue jeans,
lean on bales of hay.
Birds and brown squirrels scurry to safe places.

Early summer air bears the scent
of berry pie.
Time lags as I watch
the sun complete its daily arc to
set behind the mountain silhouette.
My long shadow cast across the meadow
and disappears in the night.

dversepoets.com

13 comments:

  1. What beautiful word pictures you paint! I feel the frosty air, and yes, I think I catch the scent of apple crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the time lagging in the last stanza and resisting the urge to hibernate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the delicate beauty of the first stanza, Kathy, especially the lines:
    'Colors in each mini rainbow take turns sparkling',
    and I like the way you take us on the walk in the second stanza.The third stanza has stunning colour - and then you introduce the scarecrows! I find them so creepy these days - it must be some of the scary stories I've read, particularly one by Anthony Horowitz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way this poem ends like a long satisfied sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely gorgeous!💘 Especially love; "Hills painted in hues of orange, berry, lemon-lime, make everything look stunning, especially, if it's old and worn. autumn's red fox backdrop to a faded espresso and grey barn."💘

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an enticing view of your autumn, Kathy...the colors, the scents and the feel of the wind blowing about. You left me with an air of satisfaction in that you resisted the urge to move indoors but instead to continue your walk until after the sun set. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You bring out the best of autumn... really love the images.. Especially tying in the scarecrows make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks beautiful through your eyes. Exquisite stanzas -- every one of them. I like how you zoomed in and out and filled us up with awe before the satisfyingly peaceful journeying on (not rest) into the night.

    ReplyDelete

All comments, constructive and otherwise, are welcome and appreciated here. Thank you to those who show an interest in my quirky style of writing, photography, painting, and presenting a feeling or thought and for stopping by A Dwelling by the Sea..