Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Literature & History Vignette...


     Perhaps my point and shoot camera does not do as much justice to the subjects as would a Canon SLR. And maybe the composition does not follow the 1/3 rule.  But I couldn't resist taking a picture with the idea of an older world:  an old camel ink well, a 1940's heavy elephant bookend - and a few books that many of us may have had to read years ago,  or wanted to read,  and were captivated by.  This Arabian Nights volume does not have the splendid full page color illustrations that a bigger one does, but I loved Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, and it pertains to a culture we currently read in the news everyday.  The Last of the Mohican's was a dull read for me and I cannot get James Fenimore Cooper's image out of my mind since I played the card game "Authors"! (and Nathanial Hawthorn)  Great Expectations was a delight as are all of Dickens's stories, I think.  This is an 18 book collection from The Book League of America in New York with no copy write date.  Other books include Lorna Doone, Kim by Kipling, and The Cloister and the Hearth.  I think I will take the last one to bed with me tonight.  And I love my globe mapped bookends.  I wonder if I would get an A for effort with this if I were in a class? 
Thank you for stopping by the Eyrie Road.

2 comments:

  1. Katy, I think this is wonderful!
    Your choice of subjects is fantastic, and I love the wonderful tones.
    So nicely done!

    ReplyDelete

All comments, constructive and otherwise, are welcome and appreciated here. Thank you to those who show an interest in my quirky style of writing, photography, painting, and presenting a feeling or thought and for stopping by A Dwelling by the Sea..