Thursday, September 6, 2018

A Gift That Keeps Giving














 

































































My house sat empty the 
day of the sale,
except for the baby grand.
She stood alone
 in the dining room,
   holding countenance.
I lowered the price again,
   but to no avail.
Unable to move it to the new place,
a desperate post to Craig’s List,
“You pay to take piano away,
    give good home."
Later that day, the door bell,
a handsome young man did say,
   “May I play.”

He laid his hands on the keys,
and they became part of
his anatomy, 
fingertips penetrating 
my soul.
Surrounded by soft, rich tones, 
acoustics I did not know 
existed in the room.
warmth came over me,
I admired his expertise and style,
he smiled, swaying side to side.
From the time he sat down,
the piano, clearly, 
was his own.

Occasionally, 
I  played Christmas carols,
 Kumbaya...I paused  and  thought.
I could take lessons again,
    take a few bows...
reap  praises for 
my brilliant talent and poise. 

But a deal was to be made.
He embraced me briefly.
 I watched the truck 
pull the piano away 
as he smiled and waved goodbye.
It was my pleasure
to hear him play,
 more than enough for him to pay.
Water filled my eyes,
tears of gratefulness,
 after all.

It's Open Link night at dversepoets, any subject or theme. 


















10 comments:

  1. it is sad to say goodbye to something that brought us much joy but to see it give joy to another is true happiness in our hearts - love the story in the poetry

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely poem...and gift to the gifted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to hear that the piano found its home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that a moment of parting could bring you such joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A touching tale to tell. How special the moment of parting became, enriched with knowing your beloved piano will continue to be well loved and make wonderful music.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very hard to say goodbye to the grand piano but at least someone will take good care of it. Very touching share, thank you! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really admire this... it's so sad that so many pianos are hard to give a new home... these days I think pianos are almost like stray cats... we all love them, but no one want them any more. I love the payment of the man playing... it sounds like there was someone deserving who got it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People can't get much for them now...I'm sure it's something he and others are thoroughly enjoying on a regular basis 😊.Thank you.

      Delete
  8. I am glad the baby grand found a new home, clearly a home where its potential for beauty, gifted by a musicians fine fingers, would fill the air and fill the heart.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a privilege to hear beautiful music. I can imagine myself in your place, sad to see a beloved instrument go, but happy to know that it went to the right hands.

    ~Imelda

    ReplyDelete

All comments, constructive and otherwise, are welcome and appreciated here. Thank you to those who show an interest in my quirky style of writing, photography, painting, and presenting a feeling or thought and for stopping by A Dwelling by the Sea..