Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Toast...



An earlier writing of mine, taken from an archived post from my 
blog last October with a few minor changes. I think this might have a different audience here at .http://dversepoets.com    dVerse Poets Pub           this time..



 Whilst they gather by the fire
 beneath the crystal chandelier
  smoke slips through and around them
 Gramophone tunes ring dear

Floral wallpaper defines the room
  champagne toasts given 
Recalling past festive holidays
 when stardust fell from heaven

Where once waved a Parisian blue 
scarf against her cheek
driving the winding road for a sea view
now a violet net shawl and chartreuse parakeet

On the mantel a padlocked gold box
where intriguing tales are kept  
   A man's corduroy hat hangs on an umbrella stand
 the woolen black cloak in which she wept

Scents of rain and burnt desire
Winds augur the season with a rasp
Sweet joys not sorrows
bring smiles to her Titian red lips at last

Hazel eyes play in the light of the room
She arises becomingly
No more anguish from within
...yet missing him
 With a flair of bravura she waltzes freely
.... audaciously

by klr

17 comments:

  1. Scents of rain and burnt desire
    Winds augur the season with a rasp
    Sweet joys not sorrows
    bring smiles to her Titian red lips at last...i love how this one stanza jumps out because it touches all the senses.....and the freedom she finds in the end as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian - Maybe you can help or refer me to a solution for the word verification edit. I can't get an answer as to how to cancel it; am confused..?

      Delete
  2. You capture that lost age of romanticism well--and it never really goes away, not in our DNA. Stately tone, but sharp and modern language--this all just clicks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad and appreciate the comment very much..

      Delete
  3. This paints such a clear picture of a goneby era. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your vivid descriptions make it so I'm there watching the entire scene unfold. Starts out with a somber tone and ends with a flair--like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Takes me back to the Victorian age !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly love all of the details you included here...one of them being "Titian-red lips." Nice!

    What I don't like though is the 'word verification.' I am about to TRY to post my comment now for the 4th time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, if you can help me learn how to remove it I'd be indebted...I don't know how to do it and thought I had, but I need help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a chartreuse parakeet!! And one a brighter yellow, both with blue throats.

    Do you know the products of Victorian Papers? Not sure if that store is still around, a quick Google will tell. This post reminds me of their lovely stuff.

    And this poem just kept getting amazinger and amazinger!

    She arises becomingly, I did that once on stage in a dress that was half blue for a boy who has been 1 of my 3 Great Loves. In men, that is.

    I also love cats, coffee, cotton candy and blogging!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I know the magazine....l'm a sucker for vintage things...nice to meet people with similar veins of likes and dislikes. Thanks for stopping by, Jannie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes - the heart and memory gets stuck so often in a certain place. The music of the era played again and again. Here you take a woman who had a vivid life and lost it, and through the lovely details of her life you have her dance back to youth before our eyes. Charming!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katy, this is charming and flows so beautifully. I was also taken back in time with this, very nice.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was struck by the line about the box where "intriguing tales are kept." That alone gave my imagination a jump-start... I love the ending as well... lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "burnt desire".... mmmmm. lovely, intricate piece.

    ReplyDelete

All comments, constructive and otherwise, are welcome and appreciated here. Thank you to those who show an interest in my quirky style of writing, photography, painting, and presenting a feeling or thought and for stopping by A Dwelling by the Sea..