Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My Sugar Plum Memory...

My first contribution to the creative website twoscoopz.com in the focus 52 category...prompt for this week: Sweet...as in sweet memory...




by klr


Glowing memories
in flickering candle light
Grandpa nudges me
Christmas bells resonate,
birds announce the hour,
tricycle under the tree

Morning chore at hand 
as we step outside,
lacy white flakes kiss my face

The screen door squeaks to a close;
his wool wisky white beard
tickle my round red cheek
Sugarplums keep guard,


Silvery reminders of
long nights, years ago, 
the winters he carried me
to the old gray barn
through moon shadowed snow too deep

Time to milk the cow
A lantern lights the distance
from the front stoop to the barn
Mittened hands hold tight
around grandfather's shoulder

I wonder if he 
somehow watches o'er me
He had a nickname
for me that I loved so much:
"..hello, Sugarplum.." 
From that walk in the snow until
just before he passed,
he always called me his "Sugarplum"








focus52Blog

4 comments:

  1. I guess that´s a birdhouse. Cool looking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful this is, and what a perfect photograph to go with it!
    Sending you wishes for a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The verse is beautiful!
    As is your photo :)

    Welcome to focus52!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no doubt he's still watching you.
    Such a lovely poem!
    Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

All comments, constructive and otherwise, are welcome and appreciated here. Thank you to those who show an interest in my quirky style of writing, photography, painting, and presenting a feeling or thought and for stopping by A Dwelling by the Sea..