Friday, September 21, 2012

Night train...

Today's prompt from Claudia over at http://dversepoets.com/dVerse Poets Pub is solitude, 
which is something I could write a lot about.  However the first thing that came to mind was a lonely train ride I once took;  I guess it needed to get out of my head and onto paper ( cyberspace?) to be done with it.  You know what I mean, I think.  So it fits, I think into the category satisfactorily.. 


                        by klr

The night train sounds three times,
warning of early betrayal - too late, though,
rolling along 'neath s butter yellow half moon
Tears scorch my cheeks, tickle my collarbone;
my throat chiseled raw, it's hard to swallow the 
revelation at dawn's light
                                                      
Rambling, the train curves round the jungle-lined riverbed 
Feeling swept away like debris, life clings to life
On my way to the cosmic fair, by way of the golden valley,
I see splintered red stained glass, remnants strewn along the tracks,
of broken dreams I came all this distance to only return
Slowing at each small station, the train collected more crocheted hearts
to ride awhile
While the clapping engine hugs mountain slopes, 
I leave new souvenirs I might have dragged home
Motion of the train rocks me into a semi-sleepy state, 
marbled mauve- amber sky creeps into my finished heart
Unwanted, early stars meet my eyes with unfair abandon;
the sun slips under the covers of nightfall's descending steps

Then, I feel invisible hands pushing and pulling me forward,
rushing me into a taxi as I lower my head
It hurries me to the great grey gull of a jet when its hull swallows me
and sharp steel blades of a rudder cut deeper the flesh in my chest,
slicing and shedding it recognizably
Now the air that once carried love letters long distance returns me 
to my former life....in the cavernous night sky, 
I hear the faint whistles of that endless summer receding into my past




16 comments:

  1. ah i absolutely love the train...great use of it in this....life clings to life, swept away like debris....cool line...also like the touch of the love letters in the end too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loneliness in train ... this is something we have all encountered at certain times of our lives :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sun slips under the covers of nightfall,
    the flesh in my chest
    sliced and shredded unrecognizably

    Must have been a pretty long journey. That seems the case arriving at nightfall and dog tired. Nicely written Kathy!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a long time ago and far away from home..thanks, Hank.

      Delete
  4. very cool..the train as an image for moving on, yet wanting to stay...the love letters touched my heart..great images in this..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww..I might have gotten this all wrong but, it seems as if you went to meet someone you cared deeply for, were disappointed by it and the long trip home made it all the worse. Heart breaking last stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "....slowing at the station
    to collect more
    crocheted hearts
    to ride awhile"
    loved these lines.

    beautifully sad poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful, Katy. I live within a mile of a train track that snakes through the Sierra Nevada. The sound at night is indeed melancholic. And sometimes, crazy-making when you get an engineer with an attitude who just lays it on and wakes us up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful! What a vivid picture you paint with lovely words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really nicely done. Love the ending here, and the way you built the piece is really good. Some excellent imagery and love the tone throughout. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

All comments, constructive and otherwise, are welcome and appreciated here. Thank you to those who show an interest in my quirky style of writing, photography, painting, and presenting a feeling or thought and for stopping by A Dwelling by the Sea..