Saturday, May 20, 2017

I escaped the news last week...



















I Escaped the News Last Weekend



I escaped the news
last weekend, wanting a world
  with everything
set right; I returned to the
sleepy beach hideaway of
  my youth
Tumultuous waves
rolled over one other,
going nowhere really -

Cold rain slapped my face,
drops ran down my neck;
the wind meowed around me.
Unoccupied worn
cedar-shake homes welcomed me,
  the hamlet asleep,
but for a blurred red street light

The drive was well worth 
the time to capture 
one quintessential sunset, 
one to ride horses
straight into!
Unyielding dunes clung 
to sea grass. I breathed in so
deeply the salty sea air

Theoretically, my
fearful thunderous 
thoughts subsided and I felt 
beyond carefree.
Feet to a fire, a cup of
mulled apple cider 
added to the ambient quiet

Conceived of literature
and art in my heart,
I channeled Hemingway and
 Picasso; I wrote, sketched and
painted through the night 
Ultimately, 
I am taken aback how 
truly, I now see, 
birth overcomes death 
...every day
and I am the only one
in my way



dVerse
This Friday is Open Link Night over at dversepoets.com   Click if you would like to read more poetry
from the group.






11 comments:

  1. A beautiful post....perhaps it is a seasaw? Birth and death. Each takes center stage in its' moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a delight to read Kathy. Took me on a beautiful journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all need a retreat like this... maybe the world of news, is such an ordeal to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your hideaway and would willingly forget all the dreadful news and just let my poetic and artistic side take over ~ Enjoy our weekend ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are my favorites:

    "The drive was well worth
    the time to capture
    one quintessential sunset"

    "Feet to a fire, a cup of
    mulled apple cider
    added to the ambient quiet"

    "Feet to a fire, a cup of
    mulled apple cider
    added to the ambient quiet"

    "I am the only one in my way." ... That is pretty powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Powerful & personal, mundane & cosmic--nearly a perfect poem, channeling many of us. I hope this cottage/cabin/hideaway is real & actual--a way station where you can refocus & recenter.After a decade being an actor I had to face the fact I was stopping myself from succeeding--and when I shifted my life to becoming a spec Ed teacher, I never looked back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cosmic? Thanks. It is a real place in Gearhart, Ore. It clears the cobwebs.

      Delete
  7. This is a wonderful read. Thankfully, I am now back by the sea and have the same antidote to the horrible news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the last four lines about birth overcoming death and we are the only ones in our ways.

    ReplyDelete

All comments, constructive and otherwise, are welcome and appreciated here. Thank you to those who show an interest in my quirky style of writing, photography, painting, and presenting a feeling or thought and for stopping by A Dwelling by the Sea..