Friday, December 8, 2017

Life is a Marx Bros.film....
















Symbolism is the prompt for today at dversepoets.
I took a stab at it but have struggled with the difference between it and metaphors, similes, and personification over the years, but it is late now.:-)


As I muster the nerve each day to face
life's realities,
I continue to be taken aback.
No conductor at the wheel,
train out of control,
I am losing track
My mind conflated,
time is suspended,
the pendulum has stopped
Are we free falling,
why is there no feeling inside?

In the name of research, please,
question me twenty years from now.
Tell me then the
ridiculousness has been a bad dream, the news spinning ad nauseam cannot be happening;
say life resembles
banana boats in milky ways, or chickens are falling from the sky.
Truly, it's more like
A Night at the Opera,
than anything real
to you or I.


15 comments:

  1. I feel you. I figure at some point the train will come completely off the tracks for going too fast, hitting a curve that we did not see coming.

    It is an interesting thought to consider what the future will think of this time period. I hope it is better then.

    Somedays are surely like a bad sitcom, with a bunch of flat landing jokes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right..with very poor writers! Thank you.

      Delete
  2. So right... When I grew up the thought of Europe in war was still fresh, and we could say that all was better now, then the cold war that froze everything until the Berlin war fell... now we seem to be back in those days again... I hope we will be able to feel optimism again, and can smile at this as glad survivors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have no idea what that was like for Europe...have tried to imagine.

      Delete
  3. Kathy, this works so well as a symbol. The train does feel like it's going to derail, without a conductor. But I guess, that's where hope comes in. Metaphor and symbolism seem so similar. When I have a chance I need to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria, I will refresh my mind on the subjects.:-)

      Delete
  4. A derailed train is a perfect symbol for today's "Year At The Opera". I like the idea of looking back on this 20 years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Kathy. I dropped by to read but my monitor must have a problem displaying the images because in my monitor, the first half of the poem appears right on the house image. Clear lines start with "time is suspended". I'll see if my tablet will be better to use. I'll be back. Happy weekend. :-)

    ~Imelda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Imelda. That happens more on phones than laptops.My margins are often 'off'. Hope you can read it all.

      Delete
  6. Love this line:
    I am losing track... Observations so true and well put....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this phrase wondering twenty years from now if the "ridiculousness has been a bad dream". I'd be curious to know as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We always look back and think, why did I do that? I suppose we learn a lot from hindsight. And I can relate to the train derailed, with no one seeming to steer it in a good direction.

    ReplyDelete

All comments, constructive and otherwise, are welcome and appreciated here. Thank you to those who show an interest in my quirky style of writing, photography, painting, and presenting a feeling or thought and for stopping by A Dwelling by the Sea..