Thursday, April 27, 2017

Learning La Cumbia
















dVerse

dversepoets.com   We are to write about 'community'. This covers a wide area, as people gather in so many different 'communities', usually strong and beneficial but can be viscous and unjust. We derive pleasure when we participate as a dancing community. The video I chose is a good example of a place where and a reason why a community gathers.
Although Cantinflas was Mexican, he offered the the most accurate of the Colombian Cumbia I could find.



Under Southern
constellations at the equator, in
many bars, discotheques,
and city parks, locals and travelers congregate
to soak up Latin culture,
dance to a Latin beat.
Wind instruments carry the melody while padlocked passions break free.

Trago served in small
glasses, one after another,
warmed my bloodstream.
Elongated shadows cast
by lamplight, pranced, and
then erased our footsteps.
Hesitant steps - left, right, step back, count to 4,
then eight, turn,
legs bending lower.
Hips sway to the rhythm of
the Colombian Cumbia.

A yip now and then from the crowd
as the music lightened hearts
Others danced the night away,
but my head was swimming, my legs became rubbery.
In the wee hours I needed to be carried away in a  cart
Leaving the gaiety, I climbed into a bed,
to face morning drudgery.








6 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Brings the rhythm of the dance to life. The video is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A community to be experienced and remembered!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The community on a dance floor. Nice description of almost dancing the night away to a Latin rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to dance... at one point I was doing it a lot, but now it's more rare.... and the Latin rhythm is so cool..

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun Latin dance ... and I enjoyed the video, as well as the well-written verse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That latin beat is so addicting ~ I love to dance to this speaks to me Kathy ~ Apologies for the late response ~ Have a good week ~

    ReplyDelete

All comments, constructive and otherwise, are welcome and appreciated here. Thank you to those who show an interest in my quirky style of writing, photography, painting, and presenting a feeling or thought and for stopping by A Dwelling by the Sea..