Friday, March 9, 2018

Transparency of a Phantom Thread
































































It is Open Link Night (OLN) at dVerse poets as we write without a prompt.  This prose poem may not appeal to many but it is what came from my muse because it needed to be written perhaps.   


Transparency of a Phantom Thread


With nothing of  
himself to hang onto,
it’s a wonder he stays in one piece.
He stares at a lava lamp
for hours.
In his loneliness,
his mind threads every needle with
hope he finds in the light of day.
He scales and walks that narrow brick wall
as others fear his balance.
He weaves himself through textures
of green new leaf growth
and forlorn winter berries,
For in his lapses of memory,
in and out of his reality,
there is always  nature's clarity.
The spirit, not to be dissected
into shallow holdings
or remain in a cage with rage,
leaps forward in darkened corridors,
a panther pacing.

Unable to concentrate,
he dwells in  a mixed state with bawdy dreams
of secrecy.
Moments of brilliancy submerge, only to re-emerge
amid indistinguishable mumbles.
He goes from  taciturn to talking wildly,
to being laid bare in excruciating emotional pain.
Dressed  in garb of the ages,  
drawing attention from passers by,
he is a curious oddity.
Lacking  the wherewithal to be productive,
he walks aimlessly,  yet desperately
wishes to be constructive.

In truth there is genius and kindliness.
When stars wished upon are everything,
worries are set free, like a bevy of butterflies.
When it comes to a healthy mind,
what cuts through everything
is the common thread memory of
the tender touch of a mother’s hand
caressing our faces.
If it were not for his wit,
word searching,  for poetry’s sake,
would leave me bereft.
None of this is something a glass
of wine can cure.






































.






11 comments:

  1. What sadness to be so utterly alone... I wonder how many gentle words it takes for him to mend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray to have and retain that healthy mind and wits as I grow older ~ Have a good weekend Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked with the elderly most of my nursing career and now I'm facing that reality myself. How to stay alert--many of us have choices and it's up to us to make them. I believe writing is one of those choices for me, among others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked these lines: "Lacking the wherewithal to be productive,
    he walks aimlessly, yet desperately
    wishes to be constructive." And the idea of worries being set free like butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I echo Victoria's comment entirely. Writing keeps me motivated and morning puzzles (on PC) set my mind keen at the start of day.
    There is a deep sadness in being utterly alone, when dementia robs the mind, and what is even sadder, the loneliness even when in company.
    My lovely hubs has dementia and when I visit him (in his wonderful care home) he is either happy and animated or quiet and silent. When the latter, I feel incredibly lonely in his company.
    Kind regards
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heartfelt sympathy, Anna...glad he has a good care home. Writing is therapeutic.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes I feel very alone but glad I have a healthy mind. That kind of lonely is a lost kind. The worst kind because you may not know it or what you lost. Bless everyone who has to go through it and their loved ones.

    ReplyDelete

All comments, constructive and otherwise, are welcome and appreciated here. Thank you to those who show an interest in my quirky style of writing, photography, painting, and presenting a feeling or thought and for stopping by A Dwelling by the Sea..