Friday, October 5, 2012

I always wanted to learn to play the violin....


Sharing with dVerse Poets Pub today:

Just having seen the movie "Hope Springs", and for other reasons, lately I have been thinking about longevity in marriages and what it requires for them to endure. My parents and both sets of grandparents were together 50+ years; so I know it takes work, but they made it look so easy.  At one point, I was married for six years and there were other relationships, but the quantity and quality I sought has always alluded me.  And it's imperative, I think,  to find peace with whichever situation one finds himself or herself in - single, divorced, widowed, or alone. The many interesting dynamics of said couplings are addressed in the movie by Steve Corell, who is able to keep a straight face in his role as marriage guru/counselor at a marriage retreat.  If you see the movie, keep in mind that you are watching two of our most formidable and professional performers of our time, Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones.

          She bought things but
did not sell them... sewed seeds of love  
and knitted in the bleak months               
lingered in the meadow to the sound of 
cowbells, the smell of lilacs and cloves
        ..wistful dreamer
She found opposites, accidentally
picking the wrong mushrooms
          
          Ravaged wildly by chocolate
and champagne kisses..she was tutored 
by the ships in the night
given to Gothic love stories, romance 
veils of rose petals and sprigs of mint
       wearily...she fell prey to promises
only to drown in teeming pillows
...never authentically betrothed
               
         She took a peak at the 
essence of pearls.. found them
unattainable..turned to baking soft brownies 
for the kids instead....knowing only
how to dedicate years to her
      .. best mate and create
be a merry lass always forgive
 ...offering vanilla smiles

         Shame of love's tattered remains
arrived, stayed awhile, then vanished
true love cannot be downloaded
What was there faded
to the value of pale green pressed glass 
      .. infinitely dispirited
not to spin gold or uncover cut crystal 
 ...her love still yet not quite wholesale
      
        But her heart has accrued interest           
grown tempered, seasoned, serene
unlike the young, unfolding soft buttercup
Shadows with weights lifted, doors unlatched
       ..she politely declines the abstruse
her marrow renewed with new substance      
spirited by ardor for art, creativity
....sick and tired of..
 the wood in her head


by klr



19 comments:

  1. i like all the images in this..quite some deep emotions as well...i think one can go far from the own dreams and interests and passions to provide common ground in a marriage..but there's a limit and at a certain point it may just break if we're not careful..oh and i love listening to someone who's playing the violin..never wanted to learn it myself...smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I understand what you say...and I don't think I would have the patience to learn to play the violin but it is lovely to listen to;)

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this wonderful piece. It is so richly woven. I love all the details you have built into it. I'm looking forward to watching the movie too. I think Streep and Jones are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty cool rhythm to the piece...set up by near and internal rhymes that are very cool....you kept me guessing as well what might come next....some fun lines for me were...

    She took a peak at the
    essence of pearls.. found them
    unattainable..turned to baking soft brownies
    for the kids instead

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very poignant poem really - a mix of the homey and real with metaphor which is very effective .k.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, deft characterization and poetic sensibility unite. The layers allowed me to contemplate between rereads. Thank you for joining us for the prompt and always lovely to meet another introvert :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you drew her wistful dreams ~ and I hope she can use her energy for art and creativity ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to be so late, just life's burdens. Wistful thoughts well expressed here

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful imagery and clever way of weaving around the verses. One can venture out to realize goodness out there if only they work out nicely! Great Kathy!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  9. You paint a wonderful tale with your words ... hats off to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderfully poignant, much of the richness of marriage is interwoven into these thoughts, these words. I like the underlying message, that even in a long-term partnership, we maintain some part of ourselves that is just for us.

    P.S. your title made me smile, Ia few years back I decided that I wanted to try to learn the violin... I did well up to a point, but I never could master vibratto, and eventually I gave it up. I'm so glad I tried though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much..at least we can listen to the violin and dream;)

      Delete
  11. It's a wonderful poem, a delight to read. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie with my husband. I'm sure we can identify!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi dear :) so much food to thought ;) enriching as always. thank you for commenting Nancy's post in 'wonderland'. can't wait for your post! xxo

    ReplyDelete

All comments, constructive and otherwise, are welcome and appreciated here. Thank you to those who show an interest in my quirky style of writing, photography, painting, and presenting a feeling or thought and for stopping by A Dwelling by the Sea..