Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A home is a "Home"?

This exercise from Vicki Dvorak of Simply Hue about what the word "home" signifies to us had me looking in the thesaurus:  We know a home can be anywhere or anything where your heart is and where one dwells. It could be a mansion, a cabin, castle, apartment, condo, or a cave.  Homes are also known as abodes, habitats, a nest, and to some of us older gals, a "pad" or the "digs".  It could also be a state of mind and spirit.



By definition I like that it is a place that feels familiar, intimate, restful, easy and a refuge.  My picture collage was easy to do, but I wanted to convey what I think makes a home a "home" and would be some must haves. Singling out only a few, these are what I chose.  And, in the center is a painting of where we all might feel we want to be if we are sick...at home, in bed.

                      *  A garden gate, a path to the door, a window box
                      *  An farmer's sink and, as my grandmother used to say, a rooster in the
                          kitchen brings good luck.
                      *  A large cabinet in the dining room, a hot cup of tea.
                      *  A comfy sofa and a place for heirlooms
                      *  Bookshelves
                      *  A fireplace
                      *  A bedroom that opens to a garden court and a window to the sea
                      *  Candlelight and a welcoming bathroom
                      *  A door to a secret garden
                               ..........and music to fill the air

http://raining-umbrellas.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

  1. Kathy, you are so talented! I'm in awe of every assignment you post. :)

    And, yes, your blog definitely fits the definition of "originality". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful collection of photo's :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Vicki. I guess it goes way back to doing an assignment for school and wanting to express myself the best way I knew how. I didn't foresee the potential I had and go for it. Life happens. Now I feel like I am playing at it. The other members of this group are all very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy I love everything you add to your photos with words. so much wisdom :) the picture's choice and what you write about them is simply inspiring. YOU are very talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your must haves - just the thought of home with a cup of tea and a magazine ones own bed looking out a window is perfect. Nanc

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ana, thank you for your kind words. It's nice to be in this class with you.

    And Nanc, I totally meant to put the tea photo in and take the cocoa one out but had spent so much time making mistakes and correcting them that I forgot. Thank you for the nice comment
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete

All comments, constructive and otherwise, are welcome and appreciated here. Thank you to those who show an interest in my quirky style of writing, photography, painting, and presenting a feeling or thought and for stopping by A Dwelling by the Sea..