Wednesday, April 9, 2014

NaPoWriMo 2014 - Poem #8 Nevermore ...







NaPoWriMoNaPoWriMo
We are to re-write a famous poet's work today.  I chose 3 paragraphs from Edgar Alan Poe's poem and changed them, but did not do it full justice as it deserves..


NEVERMORE



Once upon a morning dawning, while I wandered, sleepy, yawning
across the meadow so green, overflowing with wildflowers multi-hued 
While I was prancing, so entrancing, suddenly I felt a glancing
As of some one advancing, advancing closer to my side
"Tis some admirer."  I stated, "romancing closer to my side -
               Only this, and nothing more."

Then this young handsome face appeared, startled me so truly I feared
for his manner was less friendly than the handsome young face he bore
Aghast at his audaciousness, I asked him, "Can I help you sir?"
His voice was taunt and sinister, his tone sent shivers through my core'
           Quothe the man, "Nevermore."

I marveled at his plain boldness and approached him with a cold frown
Though I did not understand his answer, so I questioned him more;
"My prince will be soon be here to see me home, leave me alone, kind sir."
Upon my heart I had promised to myself many years before:
        With not such a man again, "Nevermore"

Original -
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary, 
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore, 
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping, 
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. 
"'Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door- 
                Only this, and nothing more." 

Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling, 
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore. 
"Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou," I said, "art sure no craven, 
Ghastly grim and ancient Raven wandering from the Nightly shore- 
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!" 
                Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore." 


Much I marvelled this ungainly fowl to hear discourse so plainly, 
Though its answer little meaning- little relevancy bore; 
For we cannot help agreeing that no living human being 
Ever yet was blessed with seeing bird above his chamber door- 
Bird or beast upon the sculptured bust above his chamber door, 
                With such name as "Nevermore." 





No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments, constructive and otherwise, are welcome and appreciated here. Thank you to those who show an interest in my quirky style of writing, photography, painting, and presenting a feeling or thought and for stopping by A Dwelling by the Sea..